Friday, May 20, 2005

You've come a long way, Popey

Not to bring up an old subject, but to bring up an old subject: the new pope. I should have commented back when Big Matt was tearing JPII a new one for, well, not wiping anyone else's (makes sense if you read it), but was silent. Conspicuously silent. Please, stop sending letters. At a time when a world in mourning turned to a small comedy troupe's blog for moral guidance and comfort, Nang said nothing. And why? I was too busy wiping my mothers Catholic, Polish tears. Also, I have been really into jigsaw puzzles lately.

People, it is time for healing. I think this is a time for the world to come together, and congratulate John Ratzenberger for this honor of honors. He has come a long way from the loveable, know-it all mailman/barfly Cliff Claven on the sitcom Cheers, to the piggy bank in Toy Story, to one of the miners in the made for tv movie about the miners who got stuck in the well. Now, he gets to be infallible.

Infallible, I learned through 13 years of Cathoic schooling, means that the Pope is like Jesus and can't make mistakes. I also learned that Jesus was just like us and did makes mistakes. Now, I might have questioned such an assertion, but for the painful, painful shocks. Of course I am refering to the special Christening water used for baptizing baby girls, which, for life, initiates a series of tiny shocks (leading to terrible burns) when the faith is questioned.

Infallibility seems really cool. John Paul used it to take some pretty interesting steps forward, steps not unlike the slow, arduous, incredibly tiny baby steps he was limited to during his final years.

So, way to go, Cliffy. Have fun with your hat and the mansions and the gold and the manservants. I am somewhat sure that is what God wants for the Church. Ow. Ow. OWWW. Ok, ok- truly sure. Phew. More gold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home