Tuesday, February 15, 2005

An Idle Brain Teetering on a Piece of Driftwood

Anyone out there? Good. Big Matt here again with more thoughts. Since my last post in which I attempted to turn logic upside down, I've realized that this BLOG business can be quite addicting. Here are a few more thoughts that have dogged me throughout the years that I thought I'd share.
Sometimes I think about life this way and it helps put things in perspective:
The past...just a collection of memories, a scrapbook in the brain that may or may not be so accurate. How can we be sure our brains aren't skewing what we've stored? At the very least, time distorts what the brain remembers, so the past is somewhat irrelevant at best, but besides that, it's already gone. The future...hasn't happened yet and there certainly is no guarantee that it ever will. So the future, in and off itself, is totally irrelevant since it can never really exist anyway considering we are perpetually in the "now." And what about the "now?" Visualize the "now" crammed into inch of space. That inch can be cut in half an infinte amount of times, making the "now" a virtually infinetly small period of time. And essentually, that's our life.
How about this one? We all know that light travels at a certain rate. Look up at the stars at night, we are literally looking years and years and years and years into the past. For all we know, every other sun in the solar system has burnt out millions of years ago...yet we see them. Star gazing is, in fact, time travel. So...even though it make take the light from the stars millions (maybe billions) of years to reach our eyes, it also takes a measured amount of time for light to bounce off everything I'm looking at now and then to reach my eyes and be processed by the brain: this computer screen, my floor lamp, my recharging cell phone, my mouse, my body, etc...I'm looking into the past right now. All of us are perpetually looking into the past, all the time. Now, although we are only looking a millisecond backwards in time, keep in mind that everything is reletive, even time. A millisecond compared to a much smaller incriment in time is a very, very, very, long period of time. Thanks to relativity, for all I know this computer, my floor lamp, my recharging phone, my mouse, and my body may have been swept underneath history's floor mat a long, long time ago and "I" am litrally just an idle brain teetering on a peice of driftwood.
I know, what a bunch of nonsense. I agree. I won a free itunes song off a Big Slam Pepsi bottle so I think I'll download "Low" from Craker's Kerosine Hat. 118 gallons of Pepsi later I will hopefully have the whole album, but I may have to pee.

BM

1 Comments:

Blogger HockeyKnight said...

I think I'm getting the munchies and a contact high from reading this post.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home