Monday, July 18, 2005

Halfy Birthday to me

I turned 40.5 last Thursday. Halfy Birthday to me!
(For years I thought my half birthday was on flag day, but my brother so kindly pointed out on flag day that it’s not. All those celebrations and postman holidays over the years were not for me.)
My half- day came and went fairly uneventfully. I had lunch with a friend – but I didn’t get a card, a cake or a present. I did have an unrelated piece of Blackberry pie. I’ll take what I can get.
I’m okay with the low key semi-anniversary.
I never understood why people congratulated me for being born. If you really wanted to celebrate that, send my parents a card. I didn’t have much to do with it. I’m not sure I even liked it. I know I cried. And then I ate. And slept. And I kept that same crying, eating and sleeping routine up for months. Add alcohol and it’s like I just got dumped by my fiancé. And I don’t celebrate that every year.
Maybe I should. I actually had some say in getting dumped. (and what I said was, “Oh, God, don’t do this to me, I’ll change, I swear!” And then I swore … a lot.)
This year, I should start a new holiday ... dump day. I should send my ex a card and an appropriate gift, like a broken necklace or a used box of Kleenex.
In fact, this year I should celebrate the anniversaries of other events that I have nothing to do with – besides Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Columbus Day, Martin Luther King’s Birthday, Presidents Day ...I mean days more like, ‘I got my car stolen day.’
We could have more arbitrary days like, ‘brown hair day.’ “Hey Congratulations on your brown hair. Way to go!” It’s as silly as “Hey, way to get birthed!”
I’m sure Hallmark is designing cards as I type. They have spies everywhere.
As for me, this year, I plan on celebrating Arbitrary Day. It’ll be, I don’t know, September 23 this year. And this year’s theme: the semicolon. A misunderstood punctuation mark.
40.5 and the ideas keep flowing. It’s true, with age, does come wisdom.
Piece (of half birthday cake)
Larry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home